Monday, August 29, 2011

Blogging About Cooking Food and Eating it Afterwards

I find it really ironic that I started this blog so that I can write about my exploits with my culinary side, but I haven't made a single post about food. Although I'm not taking any culinary classes (yet), I've been cooking ever since my college years. It's always been my passion to cook really delicious food, and then eat it afterwards. Which brings me to the reason why I haven't posted anything about cooking. Every time I make a dish, it is only a matter of time before the food is in someone else's stomach, and mine. I get too engrossed with tasting and finishing the meal that I always forget to whip out my camera and take some pictures. I also forget to write about it for some other reason that I can't quite put my finger on.


So for now I'll just write about my fascination with food. So why does food fascinate me so much? It all started when I was a little kid. We were eating at a local fast food joint called Jollibee. This is a localized version of McDonalds, but instead of a creepy-looking clown, they had a huge orange bee. I had my first Chickenjoy that day, which is just a simple deep-friend chicken meal with rice and gravy. I was asking my family why the meal was called Chickenjoy. I can't remember who it was, but a relative of mine told me that it was called a Chickenjoy because the chicken was overjoyed that it was being cooked so I can eat it. The chicken somehow was "happy" being deep-friend and served to customers.




That was kind of silly, but it gave me the impression that food isn't all just about eating to live. It was about enjoying a necessity. Savoring a need. We need to eat food so that we can continue to live, but that does not mean we can't enjoy it as we are eating. 



Food should be delicious, and not boring. It should be enjoyed, savored, tasted again and again. It should also be cooked to perfection. 

People should be happy when they're eating. A smile should be on their face when they're chowing down on their favorite meal, or being adventurous with something they haven't ordered before.

There are several dishes that make me exceptionally happy when I'm eating them. One of my favorites is the lechon baka, or roast beef. I rarely get the chance to eat it, and when I do get the chance, I could swear the people around me would be able to notice my excitement as an order of lechon baka is being placed on the table. For me it's ten times better than lechon baboy (roasted pig), because the latter is so easy to find. Sometimes I get bored of eating lechon baboy in a party, as it's almost always present. What I would't give for some lechon baka right now.

Another one of my favorite dishes is the spicy prawns over at the Sutukil seaside restaurants in Lapu-Lapu. They've become quite expensive lately, but I swear to you every time I get the chance to eat there, one of the first things I look for are the prawns. 

My third most favorite dish would be Baked Scallops. I absolutely love them. I can eat a whole table full of baked scallops alone. I also want to point out that the best Baked Scallops that I've eaten so far in Cebu are in Chika-an. Their baked scallops are top-notch. No other restaurant in Cebu that I've tried yet can match how a Chika-an baked scallops dish tastes like. 




If you didn't notice, none of the above dishes are overly expensive. They're not one of those dishes that you have to pay over Php300 for. Why? I find the food at the high-end restaurants in Cebu boring and bland. None of them gets my heart pounding like simple lechon baka plate. Or a lechon baboy in Talisay. 

SOOO I'll close with this little statement for everyone who might stumble onto this blog post.

Eat to live, and at the same time, live to eat. Keep chomping, everyone.

Oh and please share, submit or +1 this post using the bottoms to the left. You could also get our free newsletter by signing up here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...